RULES AND REGULATIONS/ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Open March 4th, April 1st, April 15th, May 20th, October 7th, October 21st, November 18th, December 2nd
Phone: (318) 807-1735
Location: 316 S. Grand St. Monroe, LA 71201. Downtown, across from the Ouachita Parish Courthouse
Note: November and December will emphasize a Holiday & Christmas market to attract holiday shoppers.
The Downtown RiverMarket is operated by the City of Monroe and was made possible with funding from the City of Monroe, state funding, Origin Bank, Monroe Civic Center, Monroe-West Monroe Convention & Visitors Bureau, Spherion Staffing,Choice Brands, Downtown Monroe Alliance and Bears Towing. The RiverMarket celebrates the downtown area and the river featuring artisans, food, produce, entertainment, workshops, Kid’s activities and other products offered by merchants.
Vision & Goals:
Steps to Becoming a Merchant:
Downtown RiverMarket Office
401 Lea Joyner Expressway
Monroe, LA 71201
Phone: (318) 807-1735
1. Rental consistency and reliability are critical as repeat customers are created by merchants renting booth space over an extended period of time.
2. Merchants will remain open for the duration of market hours. If a merchant has sold out of stock or has too little stock remaining to merit staying, he/she must obtain permission from the Manager prior to leaving. Merchant must then post a sold out sign.
3. Merchants should try to offer enough product volume to sell for the allotted time.
4. In order for the market to ensure an appropriate product mix, merchants are permitted to sell only items listed on their merchant application. Merchants who wish to introduce new products must contact the RiverMarket Manager to make an amendment to their application.
5. No counterfeit or knock-off items allowed.
6. Merchants shall provide all their own materials including chairs, tables and display items.
7. Vendors shall display name at booth.
8. All merchants participating shall be responsible for any loss, personal injury, deaths or damage that may be result of merchant negligence. The market is not liable for damage of goods, theft, or weather damage.
9. All merchants will be loaded and clear of parking lot within one hour of close of market.
10. Smoking is not permitted in merchant area and is only allowed in designated smoking area.
11. Conflicts must be brought to the attention of Manager for resolution.
12. If determined that a merchant has violated any provision of these guidelines, a merchant may receive a warning, temporary suspension or expulsion from the RiverMarket.
13. To reserve space, all rentals must be paid in advance. If merchant is not present 30 minutes prior to opening, the space may be re-sold or re-assigned. No refunds will be given for no-shows.
14. No storage of empty boxes on sidewalks. All walkways and benches must be kept clear.
15. Merchants should prepare for windy conditions at the market and secure booth materials as necessary.
16. Merchants must supply their own all-weather extension cords.
17. No person renting a space shall be allowed to sell, sublet, or assign space to another merchant.
18. If merchant booth or cooking demonstration uses electrical facilities or fire, merchant or demonstrator must have an up-to-date fire extinguisher on-hand.
19. Guidelines subject to change without notice. An updated copy is available upon request.
Tents in Parking Lot
Handmade Artisan & Produce merchants receive priority placement in pavilions. When RiverMarket pavilions are rented to full capacity, merchants can rent space in the parking lot with the option of bringing a tent (not required). If merchants bring a tent, let the RiverMarket Coordinator know tent size.
Total Collective Sales Form: Market Promotion & Economic Impact
For marketing purposes, an annual collective sales total will be calculated to determine the market's economic impact. To help this process, please complete the confidential Total Collective Sales form each week and turn in to the Welcome Table before leaving the market. This confidential information will only be used to calculate the market's total revenue. Your personal information will not be released.
Merchants are responsible for cleaning their area & must bring brooms, trashcans, water or other needed cleaning supplies to keep the market free of debris created by market activity. Water is available in the central pavilion & in the restrooms. Merchants cannot use public trash cans for disposal & cannot dump waste in the river.
Merchants are responsible for charging & collecting sales taxes from customers & are required to report all sales to Dept of Taxation & Revenue. Merchants are encouraged to drop off sales tax collected at the Info Booth at the close of the market from 4:00-4:30 pm. Tax packets are available at the info booth or can be emailed to merchants upon request.
Farmers Sales Tax:
Farmers selling directly to consumers are sales tax exempt. Produce, plants & grass sod being sold by the farmers directly to the consumer are exempt from the 4% state sales tax & the 5.99% city tax. Supplemental products not grown or produced by merchant are subject to 9.99% state & local sales tax.
Artists Sales Tax:
The RiverMarket is located within a Cultural District, so no sales tax should be charged on the sale of original, one-of-a-kind works of art. Artists must complete tax exempt forms (available at the Info booth on market day) & turn in at the Info Booth at the close of the market from 4:00-4:30pm.